It’s been nearly a year since I returned from my 3 month trip to South Africa and so I thought it would be good to let you all know what I am up to now and my plans for the future.
I came back from South Africa with a real desire to return and carry on the work that I had started, however I knew that I needed time back in the UK to test out if that was just because I had loved the experience rather than a longer term call to South Africa.
I ended up back in Nottingham in September last year and decided to try and get a temporary part time job to allow me time to finish my MA that as I was part way through. I also took in another lodger to help with the decrease in income. I managed to get a job working in the children’s work field which was a real answer to prayer. I work for the North Notts Schools Work project going into a number of primary and secondary schools in the Retford area leading assemblies and clubs and teaching about God. I have been doing this job now for 7 months and while it’s a good job I have spent the time feeling quite detached from it knowing that this wasn’t what I was meant to be doing long term. It feels a bit like I’m in a transit lounge at an airport waiting for the next thing to happen. It has though allowed me to press on with my MA and to also do some other bits of kid’s work in my spare time.
Over the last few months I have been looking out for jobs and have even applied and been through an interview process for a diocesan children’s worker role (a job I had been excited about doing pre my SA travels). However the process made me realise that it wasn’t a role that I wanted and in some ways confirmed for me that God was strengthening within me the pull back to South Africa.
It was March this year after a number of different little instances that I realised that, rather than looking for other roles/jobs and then if they don’t work out deciding to go to South Africa, I needed to properly pursue South Africa and pray that if it wasn’t right that the doors would close allowing me to focus properly on a new job here.
At this time a friend shared with me the verse, “What he opens no-one can shut, and what he shuts no-one can open. I know your deeds. See, I have placed before you an open door that no-one can shut” (Rev 3 v 7-8). As I have pursued my decision it feels more and more that this door is open.
During the last year I have been in touch with Soul Action, who I worked with in South Africa, who would love to have me back because they feel I can use my gifts in children’s work to draw alongside the many kids workers from the projects they network with and support. The projects are all Christian based working with the poor, often in township situations. I would have the freedom, in consultation with the Soul Action team, to develop this role as I get to know the workers and the projects. The hope is that it would involve training, mentoring and supporting those working with children in deprived situations. This would be a long term commitment that requires me to raise my own support.
The plan is therefore to return to Durban, SA early next year, and I have a lot to do beforehand! I still have a dissertation to write to finish my MA and then there are all the details of packing up my life here and getting ready for a new one in Durban. There are a number of hurdles to cross too; I need to raise prayer, emotional and financial support, sort out the medical side of things with my asthma, and get a visa. I am looking for people to support me both as I prepare to go to South Africa, and also when I am there. If you are interested in being part of my support team, please get in touch.
This was not an easy decision to come to and the thought of leaving family and friends behind and being so many miles away is the hardest thing to try and come to terms with. I would really appreciate all your prayers as I work through all of these things over the coming months. I would especially appreciate your prayers for my family.
Friday, 26 August 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment